Who are those smiling faces greeting you at the Charles R. Wood Theater? They are members of the theater's loyal volunteer staff, 100 strong and growing! Our volunteers usher at performances, work in the box office, sell concessions, provide administrative support, assist with special events...and have fun!
Who are the Wood Volunteers?Our group draws individuals of all ages and backgrounds, from towns all over Warren, Washington and Saratoga counties. Among our Wood volunteers are married couples, siblings, parents, grandparents, great grandparents, students, retirees, longtime supporters of theatre, actors, actresses, directors, musicians…you name it! When you attend a Wood event the volunteer who greets you might be your neighbor, a co-worker, a former teacher, your Zumba buddy, a cast member from a recent show you saw or a voice you recognize from the radio. Whatever the background, our Wood volunteers all share a common desire to make each and every guest feel welcome and comfortable.
Meet one of the Wood Volunteers…Margy has lived in Glens Falls for nearly fifty years, prior to which she lived in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Margy is retired from the Human Resources division of C.R. Bard. About eight years ago, a friend suggested that Margy add the Wood Theater to her already impressive repertoire of volunteer work, and she (luckily for us) agreed! Margy also currently volunteers for Glens Falls Hospital, Adirondack Theater Festival, the First Presbyterian Church, and is a "Reading Buddy" at Big Cross. Margy harbors a deep love for ice cream, and is a devoted Pittsburgh Steelers fan. When asked what Margy felt was the best part about being a Wood Theater volunteer, she replied, "My favorite part of being a part of the Theater is seeing so many familiar faces come through the door."
How do Wood Volunteers support the theater?
House Staff:For each and every event, our goal is to provide a warm welcome to all our patrons, doing everything we can to make the
Wood experience a great one!
- House Managers organize the house staff, communicate with production company representatives and troubleshoot
any issues that may arise
- Ushers scan tickets, hand out programs, assist patrons with locating their seats, and assist in the concession stand
- House staff will also distribute hearing devices and provide instructions on their use
Box Office Support:
The Wood Box Office is a busy place every day of the week and Wood volunteers are there to assist!
- Distribute will call tickets starting an hour before showtime
- Utilize the box office computer software to support Wood staff with selling tickets over the phone and at the box office window
The Wood Theater is an incredibly vibrant and busy place, not just at showtime!
- Assist with mailings throughout the year
- Support special events such as holiday parties, the Wood Gala, cleanup and organizational projects
- Be available to the Wood staff to help out whenever and Wherever we can